Sweet potato toast is trending and becoming a favorite “go-to” nutritious snack. This savory sweet potato toast topped with microgreens and pumpkin seeds is so easy to make!
You have probably seen pictures all over social media of sweet potatoes topped with nut butters and fruit, cream cheese and jam and mixed greens and seeds. This new toast trend is taking over Instagram as influencers share their own versions of this low-calorie treat.
I jumped on the bandwagon REAL quick once I realized how quickly I could whip up this delicious gluten-free snack and top it with almost anything! Do a quick search for “sweet potato toast” and you’ll soon find yourself hooked as well.
The best part is you can use your toaster oven to quickly cook your toast so there is very little clean-up needed! There’s also a breakfast version (nut-butter and bananas). A lunch version (avocado and sliced tomatoes). And a dinner version (mixed microgreens and grilled vegetables).
You can’t go wrong and it’s fun experimenting with new toppings!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
Sweet potato: Rich in Vitamin A and magnesium which can help manage stress levels. We all need a little sweet potato in our lives right now!
Mixed greens: Excellent source of fiber which help with digestion and weight maintenance.
Microgreens: Microgreens are immunity boosting super foods and have up to 40% more nutrition than the fully grown plants. Recharge your body with these super foods naturally.
Grilled zucchini: Rich in many vitamins, high in antioxidants and contribute to healthy digestion.
Grilled asparagus: One of the most nutritionally well-balanced vegetbales. High in folic acid, potassium and fiber and supports healthy digestion and helps lower blood pressure.
Turmeric: My go-to spice! Turmeric contains bioactive compounds with powerful medicinal properties. Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric and has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant.
Pumpkin seeds: High in fiber and vitamins and has been linked to a reduced risk to certain cancers.
Coconut aminos: These are jam packed with 17 amino acids and a significant source of nutrients.
Italian Seasoning, salt and pepper to taste.
Sweet Potato Toast w/ Microgreens
- 1 sweet potato, sliced lengthwise 1/4" thick slices
- 1 cup mixed greens
- 1 zucchini, sliced and quartered
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped in 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 cup microgreens
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- Brush the sweet potato slices with olive oil on both sides. Place in toaster and toast 2-3 times until cooked through and slightly browned.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a pan on medium heat. Add zucchini and asparagus and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add Turmeric, Coconut Aminos, Italian Seasoning, Salt and Pepper. Cook for another minute or two until slightly browned and cooked through.
- Place sweet potato slices on a plate. Top with mixed greens.
- Top each slice with the cooked zucchini and asparagus. Add the microgreens and pumpkin seeds.