This chicken taco recipe is filled with flavor and is so fun to make with family.
Whether you’re hosting a party or putting together a quick dinner for the kids, you will love this recipe. I make this along with my famous “Summertime Salsa”. I serve the salsa as a dip for tortilla chips and will also serve on top of the chicken tacos to add an abundance of flavor.
You can find the recipe for my Summertime Salsa HERE.
What do you recommend for the best chicken tacos?
I always use chicken thighs as they are so much juicier than chicken breasts.
What tortillas do you use for the taco shells?
I only use Siete tortillas. They are hands down the best brand of gluten-free, dairy-free, and corn-free tortillas. And they actually taste REALLY good. You can stock up at Siete Foods here. They have wraps, hard shells, chips and sauces! I buy in bulk so that we never run out. You can also find these at Whole Foods or your local health food store. They have many different types: cassava flour, almond flour, chickpea flour, and cassava and chia. Our favorite are the almond and cassava tortillas.
What sides should I serve?
Mexican Street Corn
Warm Tortilla Chips – Sprinkle with a dash of salt
Dips: Salsa, Guacamole, Summertime Salsa, Queso, Black Bean Dip or Pico de Gallo
Taco night feels like a festive party at our home as it’s easy to create a large spread of beautiful Mexican dishes. My kids enjoy being able to create their own tacos, so I line everything up so they can pick their own toppings. Have fun with this! Cooking should bring joy back into your home.
- 2 lbs chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil (an extra tbsp to cook tortillas)
- 12 mini gluten and grain-free tortillas Siete brand is the best.
- 1 large tomato, diced Topping (optional)
- 1 avocado, diced Topping (optional)
- 1 lemon wedges
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped Topping (optional)
- Combine the chili powder, smoked paprika, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper into a medium-sized bowl. Add the chicken thighs and rub the seasonings evenly over the thighs.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the chicken and cook on each side for 5 minutes each or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon to the frying pan and cook the tortillas for about 1 minute on each side. It will begin to bubble.
- Serve chicken into tortillas and top with tomato, avocado and cilantro w/ a squeeze of lemon. Another topping option is the Summertime Salsa recipe on the blog.